Today was my last half marathon of 2009 - I managed to run one in October, November and December...I'm kinda sad that it over, then I bend or laugh and feel how sore I am and I realize, yeah I'm ok with this being done LOL
So today's run, started off cold, then stayed cold during the middle then right at the end...still cold. But I ran a lot longer than I had in the first two, I kept a steady pace throughout and I kept noticing how GOOD I felt - the first 4 miles flew by so fast I didn't even realize where I was at one point.
At the turnaround point (6.8) miles the announcer said we were at 1:30 and I knew that if I wanted to get back under 3 hours I'd need to dig and I guess I did. I'd planned on eating my second gel at mile 8 but when I got there, and was still going pretty strong I just decided to keep on going without eating it.
At mile 12 I got a surprise, a lady walking her dog on the course told me my husband was waiting up ahead to run the last mile with me...I was like um he is? I didn't know her or how she knew who my husband was but - I turned a few corners and there he was, out in the cold camera in hand waiting for me! The thing was right before I saw him I passed a clock and saw that I was at 2:41 so I KNEW I could beat my previous time and it was a pretty emotional moment and I shed a tear at how strong I felt and how close I was to the end.
This has been a tough couple of months, the training for the first marathon became boring and I didn't stick with it like I should have and I honestly wasn't prepared -physically for that run and the humidity. Not knowing what it took to run it left me mentally unprepared so that was really a learning experience. I really tried to use what I'd learned for the second half, and although I did a little better I knew I could have done better - plus I had to wait to get my medals for those two since it took me so long to finish.
Finishing this run, being able to pick up my medal as I was going through the finish line and getting my other medal for the Tri 2B Tuff competition really let me know that I accomplished a major goal.
Now I get to enjoy my much-needed break!
Sunday, December 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment