I have never really been worried when I run, I mean sure there are the drivers that arent paying attention and even when I am in the bike lane get a little too close for my liking but for the most part even when I was running by myself at 5am I didn't really fear for myself. I paid attention to my surroundings and since I don't run with music I was always listening out for footsteps or a car slowing down behind me.
Yesterday though I had one of those - ok what will I do if this happens moments...running down San Jose and there were two work trucks turning down a street up ahead, the first one turned but the second one was still waiting by the time I passed the street, I didn't think anything of it until I could hear the truck slowing down behind me, then I saw it up ahead of me and it pulled over and stopped...at that moment I had a few options, I could have turned around and went back the other way, risked life and limb and tried to cross San Jose, or just waited for the truck to go..he'd stopped but the engine was still running.
While thinking about my options I carefully tried to remember everything I could about the truck, the company name and the phone number that was on the truck. A few things about the situation made me feel more at ease (but I always try to think of my options in case the situation is different) it was still daylight for one, we were on a very busy road for two, and this was a clearly marked work vehicle, and above all no one is going to just snatch me up without a fight!!!!
So after repeating the company name and phone number over and over as I was jogging closer to the truck I started looking at the rearview mirror to see how many people were in the cab, I only saw the driver and he was not looking in my direction and the door wasn't opening or anything. I still stayed as far away from the door as possible though just in case.
So it was nothing - the guy was waiting on the first truck to turn around - I think they were confused as to where they were supposed to be going. But I still look at it as a learning experience. I think I did the right thing, I knew I was taking a bit of a risk running past the truck, but I also had a plan - something that I think way too many women don't ever think about. It is not that I am constantly worried about something happening but I definitely do ask myself what are my options in this situation/what would I do if x happened? It doesn't make me a nervous nelly - it makes me prepared for what could happen.
All in all I had a really good run LOL...I think that was the first time I have run that far without stopping once in a while. My stamina has been really lagging and running just 3 miles had been a struggle but yesterday - maybe it was the adrenaline rush from the truck incident - even when I said to myself that I could stop I didn't and it felt good to be able to keep shuffling right along.
I'm going to switch my days up again and run on Monday, Wednesday and Sunday and go back to letting Friday be my off day. That way I get my runs done in between boot camp classes. My muscles are feeling really strong, I was a little worried about my glutes yesterday since they have been so sore sitting and getting up has been hard, but it was funny they didn't bother me at all while I was running.
Well today is yoga and boot camp - yes BOTH (!!)...and I have decided I am really going to give that crazy reach through the legs pose a try...the crane will take a little more practice but I will do it!
Tuesday, November 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment