Running has been a struggle for me, no question about that, but looking back at where I was one year ago and the progress I have made so far still really amazes me. More importantly though I now see that I have been a great role model for my 13 year old daughter who is planning on running the Thanksgiving half marathon with me. At first I was worried about her running that long, she's very active so that's not an issue, but still it is 13.1 miles.
I've wanted her to do some training runs with me just so I could see how long she would last, so last night as I was heading out for a 5 mile run she decided to come along with me. So we set out down San Jose and start jogging along, I had been having knee problems so I was taking it even easier in my warm up trying to stay at about a 12 min/mile pace but when the legs want to go they want to go so we were quickly at an 11 min/mile pace.
Taylor had no problems keeping up with me, we were even able to talk without much of a problem then it happened - she took off! I told her she didn't have to stay with me thinking that she would run get tired and stop and I'd catch her. Never happened LOL...that little stinker just kept on running, she says she wasn't even going fast but there were times I was pushing myself and she was still feet in front of me. She did stop eventually...not because she was tired, because she wasn't sure where we were going - and to wait for me and my little short legs to catch up.
We had a lot of fun running, laughing and just talking. We didn't do the 5 miles, when we got to the turn around she just looked at me and was like 'now we have to RUN back??' I was like only if you are ready to, she decided we would be fine doing a power-walk back home - and honestly so was I. My legs are still tired from boot camp Tuesday night and that seriously took a toll on my ability to run. The difference between my stamina on Monday night's run and last night's run was really obvious and I know it was because of my sore hamstrings.
I want to do a few long runs with her, I don't think she is going to be home on Sunday - she's a busy girl :) ...but that still gives us two Sundays before the race to do long runs. I'm excited about her wanting to do this and am hoping that I can keep up with her because with the way she was running if I was able to keep up or at least keep her in my sight we would have awesome finishing times.
Thursday, November 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment