Well the Marine Corps half is done and the results are in the books! Ok so the results (at least MY results) aren't the best, but I have to keep reminding myself that I did finish and that is what matters for my first half. Honestly I am very proud of myself, I did walk way too much and I didn't mentally prepare myself as much as I should have. The way I see it though that is all part of the whole experience.
I could blame the weather -85% humidity at the 7AM start - haha but honestly I know that it was just me not being able to get my little legs a-moving on that Riverwalk. However I did see two manatees during my stroll LOL...ok I was power walking it wasn't just a stroll.
A few positives - and there were plenty of those - I beat my 10k time from the River Run, I realized I can run a lot longer/farther than I give myself credit for and I didn't feel totally miserable afterward (that was probably due to the 500mg naproxyn). A few lessons learned - cross training is really important, I need to concentrate on my arms, of all of the places to be sore my forearms are the worse and I totally was not expecting that. I still have a slight twinge in my right calf muscle from the massive cramp I got at the finish line but I'm sure that will work itself out. I started back with yoga yesterday and I know that helped work out a lot of the soreness.
So what's next? The Outback half is in a little more than 6 weeks so I am taking this week to ramp up my cross training then back to a few miles running next week and building on from there! Knowing that I can complete a half is amazing, now I need to focus on being able to finish it with a better time than the first one. No bridges in the next one, on a route I am used to running for my long runs and not as much time to obsess about it or become bored with training.
Tuesday, October 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment